Back to School STEM Challenges
Back to School STEM challenges make for an engaging and purposeful back to school ice breaker activity and here’s why:
- Use as a basis to establish classroom rules and routines e.g. stopping signals, respecting other’s views or learning how to manage conflict.
- Help ease anxiety, there’s no need to have the right answer instead the children are focussed on finding a solution
- Engage your new class right from the get go and build a buzz.
- Get to grips with the personalities in your classroom; who are the leaders, who is creative, who struggles to manage their frustrations?
- STEM is open ended, we learn and develop through the challenge which promotes growth mindset. Failure isn’t the end, it’s just the beginning to finding a solution that works.
Here are some of my favourite back to school STEM challenge prompts:
- Build the tallest tower you can using only the materials available
- Design a way to get a marble into a cup from the height of 1 metre (it can’t bounce out!)
- Build a raft that’ll support a load (e.g. a small apple)
- Devise a machine that will allow you to lift a book using just one finger
- Design a way to protect an egg when dropped from 1 metre (watch for allergies!)
Are you planning to run a STEM club this year? Join in with the “Plan a STEM Club Challenge” starting Monday 27th September here